The first issue of the Tulsa Daily World appeared on the afternoon of Sept. 14, 1905. The banner across the top of the front page declared: “Tulsa, Chosen Home of Prosperity and Opportunity, is a Busy City in a Busy Universe.” The paper cost 5 cents per copy. The Tulsa World has been owned by the Lorton family since 1917. Robert E. Lorton is chairman of the board of World Publishing Co. His son, Robert E. Lorton III, is publisher. The Tulsa World has been Tulsa’s only daily newspaper since the afternoon daily, the Tulsa Tribune, closed in 1992. The second-largest newspaper in Oklahoma, the Tulsa World continues to be among the few independent, family-owned newspapers in the United States. Located at 315 S. Boulder Ave., the nine-story building extends through the block to Main Street and covers the entire area between Third and Fourth streets. An entrance on the east side is located on Main Street.